I love penguins. Truly. They’re cute but somehow majestic. For International Penguin Day we’re breaking down some fun facts about these fellows as well as some fun ways for your family to celebrate these fabulous creatures!
- Penguins are flightless birds, they have flippers that help them swim!
- Sorry to say, there are no penguins at the North Pole
- Emperor Penguins are the largest of the species and can stay underwater for 20 minutes!
- Penguins mate for life and even create unique songs that are only for their partner
- Extra cute fact: Penguins have proposals! When ready to settle down a penguin will find a perfect pebble or stone and present it to their potential partner as a keepsake
- The Emporer Penguin will stand for 65 days straight to keep a single egg warm until it hatches
Things to Watch
- I love this movie! Sweet penguin Mumble is a terrible singer (pretty important in the penguin world as we mentioned) but learns the power of dance to make up for his not so gorgeous pipes.
- Fun fact for parents: Happy Feet director is George Miller of Mad Max franchise fame.
Penguins of Madagascar
- A spinoff of the very popular animated film Madagascar, the series focuses on four penguin friends who have all sorts of fun adventures protecting their beloved Bronx Zoo.
- Aka “Penguins Go Haiwaiin” this movie was kind of overlooked when it came out but is an absolute treat for parents and kids! (Jeff & Beau Bridges are adorably cast in this fun animated romp)
March of the Penguins
- If you didn’t already love penguins, this movie will change all of that. Shining a light on how communal and family oriented these flightless birds are the movie, voiced by Morgan Freeman, became a worldwide hit and is really worth a viewing if you haven’t seen it in a while.